North Hastings Profile Highlights
Welcome to the online North Hastings Profile. Below you'll find a condensed "Highlights" version of the profile - a good introduction to some of the region's key data. There's a menu in the left column (on a mobile device scroll upward :) to help you explore the profile pages. Both the profile Highlights and the Full Profile are available as a downloadable/printable pdf - look for the colourful image links.
With Bancroft as its commercial hub and 6 other surrounding municipalities, North Hastings is located equidistant between Toronto and Ottawa and is next door to Algonquin Park to the north.
It is less than a tank of gas away from over 5 million in population in the GTA alone. International airports are less than 3 hours away and shuttle service is available directly from North Hastings to Toronto. Local service is also available through the Bancroft Airport.
Provincial highways #62 and #28 are only 1 hour to #7 and 1.5 hours to the #401 corridor.
Already Located in North Hastings
- Home Hardware
- Canadian Tire
- TD Canada Trust
- Scotia Bank
- Shopper's Drug Mart
- Tim Horton's (2 locations)
- Kawartha Credit Union
- RBC atm
|The most prominent employment by industry as per EMSI Analyst 2011:
- Retail Trade
- Health Care & Social Services
There was a 2.5% growth in the number of jobs in 2010-2011 compared to 1.4% for province.
|60,000 permanent and seasonal residents within our trade catchment area.
An estimated 69,000 same day visits and 81,000 overnight visits were made to North Hastings in 2009 with each spending $130 per visit on average, a total of $19.5 million.
Older population on average than for the province.
30% of population over age 15 have at least some college or university education – Stats Can 2006.
Two weekly publications:
- Bancroft Times (since 1894)
- Bancroft This Week-Sunmedia
Two Radio Stations:
- Moose 97.7 FM
- UCB 103.5 FM
Way of Life: Healthcare
- New hospital – Quinte Healthcare NH
- Basic diagnostics (xray, ultra-sound etc.)- Visiting specialist program
- 24 Hour Emergency Services
- Dialysis Unit
- Two Family Health Teams
- New Physician Centre under construction/active recruitment program
- 3 Dental businesses
- 2 Vision Care facilities
- Hearing Centre
- Community Living
- Long Term Care Facility
- Veterinary Care
Way of Life: Recreation
- Unmatched access to outdoor activities/wilderness experiences
- 242 named lakes in North Hastings
- 43% percent of NH is Crown Land
- Known as a "Dark Sky Preserve"
- Strong arts and cultural community with easy access to music, fine art, theatre, festivals as audience or participants
- Hastings Heritage Trail – one of the best snowmobile & ATV systems in Ontario
- hockey/curling/tennis/fitness centres
- Clubs/Places of Worship
Way of Life: Education
- Five Public Elementary Schools
- One Separate Elementary School
- North Hastings High School
- Loyalist College - Satellite Campus of Belleville Main Campus with in-school programs and e-learning facilities
- Licensed Child Care - NH Children's Services including programs for children and their families
- North Hastings Community Integration - programs / support
- North Hastings Fish Hatchery - Sir Sanford Fleming College Program
- Youth programs
- Location – mid-distance between Toronto & Ottawa
- Broadband service
- Enroute to, and proximity to, world recognized Algonquin Park (estimated 1,168,000 vehicles pass through Maynooth each year)
- Pro-active municipalities and business organizations/support/regional collaboration
- With Belleville and Peterborough 1.5 hrs away, North Hastings has a "captured" market
- Strong Sense of Community
- A welcoming place to "re-invent" yourself
- Average annual traffic count in Bancroft of 3,600,000 per year plus.
- No development charges in North Hastings compared to many surrounding regions such as Kawartha Lakes, Muskoka and Prince Edward County
- Average sale price for Residential $148k (data based on MLS stats only of the Bancroft Real Estate Board (BDREB),Rideau $210k, Peterborough, $262k. Waterfront average sale price in BDREB, 285k, compared to $385k in Muskoka, Kawartha's $358k, Haliburton, $349k